Does Diet Help Prevent COVID-19?
There is no specific diet that you currently should be following to help prevent COVID-19 but maintaining healthy eating habits is important. Eating a balanced diet year round allows you to receive all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs to stay healthy. Remember, diet is simply defined as what you eat. Healthy eating habits can go a long way to feeling better and boosting immune health during this difficult time.
What foods are included in a heart healthy, balanced diet?
- Whole grains (i.e., brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain English muffins)
- Low-fat dairy sources
- Lean protein (i.e., chicken, fish)
- Healthy fats (i.e., olive oil, almonds)
Immune System Health
All vitamins and minerals have similar but also different properties. Vitamin C, zinc and magnesium are all important vitamins/minerals for immune health due to their antioxidant properties. You want to try to get in vitamin C, zinc and magnesium all year round, but it is especially important to ensure you are getting in these vitamins and minerals now.
Here are some examples on how to add more vitamin C, zinc and magnesium into your diet:
- Pineapple and cottage cheese
- Orange and cheese stick
- Peppers dipped in ranch dressing
- Handful of pumpkin seeds, roasted chickpeas or nuts
- Dark chocolate
- Avocado and whole grain toast
- Greek yogurt with ready-to-eat breakfast cereals (fortified with zinc)
- Banana and peanut butter
Healthy Eating Habits
Maintaining healthy eating habits is an essential part of staying as healthy as possible. A balanced diet helps make sure your immune system is prepared to fight off sickness. Making sure you eat healthy foods is as important as ever during this difficult time.